Thursday, December 20, 2007

Crisis

Good day to thee, kind reader! I have returned, hopefully permanently, to blog about issues I believe should be raised.

Today, I went and viewed the latest 'movie' by Jerry Bruckheimer, called National Treasure 2. As i sat in the darkened movie theater, I was violated by what I witnessed. In all my years on the planet, and all the pieces of shit that pass for movies, this was up there in being on of the worst. Nicholas Cage's terrible acting, in combination with a linear, shallow plot line, overuse of unnecessary camera angles and plot 'twists' that made me vomit in rage turned those two hours of my life into a living hell.

But the real reason I am here talking to you all without words is not this movie specifically, and it's level of shitness, but what this movie embodies. To me, this movie is a representation of exactly how our society is, over time, slowly climbing down the ladder of intelligence. Basically, we're moving backwards through the evolutionary chain to become beings of a prehistoric era. Mankind prospered and survived to a high level we see today (biologically speaking, not philosophically) due to our higher thought: our ability to create tools to help us hunt prey, kill enemies and whatnot. So why are we choosing to move backwards.

I saw the movie with a couple of friends. One of them was my good friend Mr X. Now, he is a great person. But one of the things he said really, in my opinion, emphasized the significance of this backwards evolution. He said "If a movie has comedy and explosions, I am happy." Now, to me that sums up that if it is flashy, the brain can be turned off, and isn't important when viewing. This is wrong. Movies are not an excuse to stop thinking. I believe it was Ben who said to 'never stop thinking'. These words are truer today than any other. As I pointed out the flaws inherent in the movie, I was criticized for being 'hyper-critical' and 'too picky'. Is it wrong to realise that society is slowly using its brain less and less? Should I go with the flow? Never.

I was given a spark of hope, however. Of the several people with me in the cinema, one of them, sitting next to me, was also aware of the fact that this movie was visual diarrhea. Mr Y, a quiet man, was abusing the movie along with me, and I felt hopeful that maybe the intelligence is not completely gone from our society. When I conversed with Mr X later on, he said that Mr Y is just generally critical. However, I knew that Mr Y and I shared an intellectual hatred for this movie.

So, to sum up: If our society continues to disregard intelligence in it's past times, it will end up being apelike again. That is not something we need. Keep thinking, always analyse, never fear to criticize, and above all, stay happy and intelligent.

Lucas

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said.

ben said...

Hey man, thanks for quoting me.
If I may comment, rather elaborately?

Now I haven't seen the movie (not planning on doing so) and so I think I'll leave that bit out.

"[...]but what this movie embodies. To me, this movie is a representation of exactly how our society is, over time, slowly climbing down the ladder of intelligence."

I think you've given it too much credit in your search for intellectual satisfaction. Perhaps we can try not to make meaning out of something that is obviously so devoid of it. The notion: to apply intelligence and use it, is great though. "Just dominate it." (lol)

I don't know if intelligence is deteriorating. Go watch the movie 'Idiocracy'. It's a satire about the dmubing down of the USA. Test audiences there didn't get it and so it went straight into the bargain bin at the local 7/11.

"Basically, we're moving backwards through the evolutionary chain to become beings of a prehistoric era." I disagree. I don't think we can move backward through time at all to become anything. It's funny the way we like to make our existence more palatable by pretending we know everything about the past. I don't think we are becoming less intelligent, it might be becoming scarce/harder to reach in the 'environment/existence' we (as a species) are in and have created. So what the hell do you do about it? Dedicate your life to increasing intelligence and consciousness? What a waste - there's not really any way to do it. All you can do is never stop thinking. Although it's worth trying to educate people, how do you do it?

"As I pointed out the flaws inherent in the movie, I was criticized for being 'hyper-critical' and 'too picky'. Is it wrong to realise that society is slowly using its brain less and less? Should I go with the flow? Never."

I'm not too sure how we got from intellectual awakenings to non-conformist ideals, but here goes. Expression is paramount to thought, so speaking your mind is the equivalent of thinking with it.
Otherwise you get what's commonly known as "the chill factor" (I read about it in a report to do with removing the "Sedition" clauses from the Anti-Terror Legislation), which is bascially self-censorship.
Phrased like that, it's not wrong to think anything. But there's a limit to how far the action goes. I don't think you were being offensive towards anyone who didn't deserve it.

Now the non-conformist bit. It's a delicate balance between being conscious and thinking about everything, and thinking and still being social. Hence the number of 'great thinkers' who were hopeless in social situations. It's not a prereq (I HATE YOU VCE!), but a condition of thoughtfulness.

If Mr. Y is who I think he is: great, that's awesome. Us intellectuals should get together sometime and get into some rigious undiciplined discussion... Maybe with a few art house movies and some popcorn.
Maybe one day we will all run away, into the hills to escape the persecution of thought.
I'm totally in on that.

Oh and, just to kill the intellectual solitude that I mentioned earlier...
Can I be Mr. T? With a Night Elf Mohawk! lol.

ben

Anonymous said...

haha mr X and mr Y were so funny during the movie lol and you have hit the nail on the head my friend excellent work

Andy Reimann said...

Haha, nice blog.
A few thoughts.
So, first of all, I think the belief in the intellectual potential of the human race is fair. We are capable of a hell of a lot more than we seem to have sunk into.
Also, yes, Cage is generally a shit actor, i'm not keen on him.
However, I think that you're being more than a tad harsh. The movie was made to entertain, not to represent our intelligence. And hell, things blowing up is pretty damn entertaining. People love action, so what's wrong with a dumbass movie with only action? Sometimes people want a break from the intellectual side of things, and just wanna watch shit blow up. I mean, c'mon. You can't honestly say watching shit get blasted to hell isn't amusing, even if on some base, mindless, pointless level?
But, bagging the shit out of a crap movie is hella fun. So if someone says you're being hyper critical, they can blow it out their ass.
Keep kicking ass man!
(Also, Ben, shut the hell up, you talk to much :P)

ben said...

"oh blow it out your ass howard."
lol nice one andrew.

Anonymous said...

this mr y character sounds like a genius of the highest order

Anonymous said...

SO MANY FUCKING CAMERA ANGLES!

Amo said...

LALALA

i wanna know who x and y are, dammit!!

xo amo